1. PAN Card – Overview
|The Authority Name releases the PAN||Department of Taxation, Government. of India|
|PAN Customer Care Number||020 – 27218080|
|Inception of PAN Card||1972|
|Validity Of PAN Card||Life Time|
|Cost of PAN Card||Rs. 110|
|Number Of Enrolments||25 crore (approximate)|
2. Eligibility for PAN
The PAN Card is issued to individuals, companies, Indians who do not reside with any taxpayer in India.
3. Types of PAN
- HUF-Hindu undivided family
4. Documents for PAN
PAN requires two types of documents. Proof of address (POA) and Proof of Identity (POI). Any of the following two texts must meet certain conditions
|Individual Applicant||POI/ POA- Aadhaar, Passport, Voter ID, Driving Licence|
|Hindu Undivided Family||An affidavit of the HUF issued by the head of HUF along with POI/POA details|
|Company registered in India||Registration Certificate issued by the Registrar of Companies|
|Firms/ Partnership (LLP)||Registration Certificate issued by the Registrar of Firms / Limited Limited Partnership Credit Deed of partnership.|
|Trust||A copy of the Trust Deed or a copy of the Registration Certificate Number issued by the Commissioner for Charities.|
|Society||Registration Number Certificate from the Registrar of Co-operative Society or the Commissioner for Charities|
|Foreigners||Passport PIO / OCI card issued by Indian Government Bank statement of the country of residence NRE bank statement in India|
5. The Cost of PAN Card
- Visit the official PAN website - NSDL / UTIITSL
- Complete form 49A or 49AA (Indian / Foreigner) with your details.
- Submit the required documents.
- Pay the processing fee.
- PAN will be shipped within 15 days.
PAN card costs Rs. 110 or Rs. 1,020 (approximately) if the PAN card is to be exported outside India.
6. How to Enrol for PAN
Whether online or offline, you can sign up for PAN in 3 easy steps
- Visiting the official PAN – NSDL/UTIITSL website
- Fill the form with your details.
- Submit the required documents.
- Pay the processing fee.
- PAN will be dispatched within 15 days
7. How to Update/Edit PAN Details?
- Go to the NSDL website and select the update PAN section
- Select option “Correction” in existing PAN data
PAN can be updated by the following steps:
A copy of supporting documents (POI / POA) is required.
8. Do’s and Don’ts for Filling up PAN update Form
- The form must be completed using capital letters only
- Complete all review fields
- Mobile number is mandatory for any future updates
- Complete the form in English and in the local language used at the time of registration
- Make sure the form is completed only with current and relevant information
- Names should not have the same greetings as Mr / Mrs / Ms / Dr
- Make sure the full and complete address is completed so that the PAN can be sent to the address
- Enter the word clearly in signature or fingerprint when confirming supporting documents
- Attach relevant documents supporting only the required updates
- Incorrect data and lack of supporting documentation will result in the application being rejected
9. Lost PAN card?
If you have lost your PAN card, don't worry. Apply for a duplicate PAN card online or offline. Log in to the NSDL or UTIITSL website, Complete form 49-A Indian citizen or Form 49-AA in case you are a foreigner and pay online with a duplicate copy of your PAN card. PAN will be shipped within 45 days.
10. How long is the PAN card valid?
PAN works for a lifetime.
11. Can PAN card be made online?
Yes. The PAN can be made online by using the following steps:
12. Tracking PAN Applications and Transactions
The Income Tax Business Application (ITBA) has now empowered a tracking system developed with PAN to calculate tax targets.
13. Structure of PAN Card
The PAN card contains information such as identity, age proof and complies with the Know Your Customer (KYC) guidelines. The details of the PAN card are as follows:
- Name of the cardholder – Individual/ Company
- Name of the father of the cardholder – Applicable for individual cardholders.
- Date of birth – cardholder's birthday in the event of a person or date of registration is stated in the case of a company or firm.
- PAN Number – It is a number of 10 alpha numbers and numbers and each character represents something different cardholder details.
- First three letters – contain only letters of the alphabet and contain only three characters of words from A to Z.
- The fourth letter – this represents the category of the taxpayer. The various entities and their respective characters are as follows:
- A – Association of Persons
- B – Body of Individuals
- C – Company
- F – Firms
- G – Government
- H – Hindu Undivided Family
- L – Local Authority
- J – Artificial Judicial Person
- P – Individual
- T – Association of Persons for a Trust
- The fifth letter –the fifth book is the first book of each person's surname
- Remaining letters – the remaining characters are not edited. The first 4 letters are numbers while the latter is alphabetical.
- Signature of the individual – The PAN Card also serves as proof of individual signature required in financial transactions.
- Photograph of the individual – A PAN serves as a guarantee of the identity of that person. Incase of companies and firms, no picture available on card.
14. Why do you need PAN?
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Compulsory Tax Inclusion
- Registration of Business
- Financial transactions
- Eligibility for opening and using Bank Accounts
- Phone Connection
- Gas Connection
- Mutual Fund – PAN is beneficial to complete e-KYC formutual fund investments.
PAN is a unique identification number that enables each Indian taxpayer business with the following:
PAN to Aadhaar Liaison is mandatory at e-KYC and ensures access to services and benefits from the appropriate service providers. The e-KYC PAN is a great service requirement from many providers and has great benefits for both end user and government. Here's why:
The 2019 unions' budget has suggested that taxpayers use Aadhaar instead of PAN to submit income tax returns on or after 1 September 2019. file returns with Aadhaar.
15. PAN for e-KYC (know your customer)
PAN to Aadhaar linking is mandatory e-KYC and ensure access to services and benefits from the appropriate service providers. PYC PAN it is a great service requirement from many providers and has great benefits for the end user and government as well as. Here's why:
- Unlicensed - The e-KYC process has no documents that allow the service provider to easily handle documents and well.
- Instant - PAN card holder can share information with a service provider through a secure channel within minutes, thus eliminating the long wait that would require the documents themselves.
- Secure – The information shared between the user and the service provider is a digital document with no intrusive evidence through secure channels, thus protecting the identity of the owner. These texts cannot be created, either may be used without the permission of the service provider or the PAN card holder.
- Authorized - Information shared by e-KYC contains verified information that makes it legal and acceptable to groups involved in the transaction.
- Friendly Expense - The whole program is paperless and online that eliminates the flow of information that makes it an inexpensive and time-saving process.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Pan card designation?
How can I download PAN card?
You can download a soft copy of the PAN (PAN card) via the NSDL portal with your consent number and your PAN and date of birth
How can I contact NSDL?
The NSDL contact details are: Address - 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune - 411 016.
Telephone - 020 - 27218080 (From 7.00 AM to 11.00 PM Daily)Fax - 020 - 2721 8081
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
What does 1st letter in pan stands for?
The first three letters of the PAN are a series of alphabets between AAA to ZZZ. For example, the start of your PAN could be BSN or AoZ; random selection.
What does 10th letter in pan stands for?
PAN is a number of letters, the first and tenth digits are alphabetical and are made in the formula of some numbers.
Does PAN card have phone number?
No mobile number specified on the face of the PAN card. However, if you want to renew a mobile phone number registered with the department, you can update the same by logging into your account on the Income Tax website
How can I check my PAN card details?
Visit the Income Tax Department website. Click on "Register yourself" and enter your PAN card number. Complete the registration form and submit it. After that link will be sent to the email address. Click on this link to activate your account. Visit the Income Tax Site to enter your account and click on "My Accounts". > Profile settings> PAN details. Your details will be processed. You can view local details there.
How can I retrieve my PAN number?
If you want to know your Permanent Account Number (PAN) after losing a card, the best thing you can do is visit www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home. Click on 'Know Your PAN'. Fill in the requested details. Click on 'Submit'. Enter the OTP sent to the mobile number. Click on 'Fill' and the screen will appear again with all the required details.
Is it legal to have two PAN cards?
According to the Income Tax Act, holding two PANs is not allowed. Therefore, if you have two PANs, you should donate one PAN. The PAN can be delivered online or offline. Also, you should write to your testing officer about PAN commitment.