I filed the income tax returns but have not yet received the refund.
It’s been almost 40 days since the income tax returns due date have passed and if you still have not received your tax refund then it advised you to check your status on the e-filing IT portal or tin-nsdl website.
Whenever a taxpayer files his/her income tax refunds (ITR), the screen displays a status of ‘processed with a refund due”, which shows that the tax return has been processed correctly. The tax refund will be issued to you 20-45 days after filing the income tax returns. However, if the status is ‘refund rejected’ then it could mean that your tax liability has been re-calculated
If you have paid the liable tax in a given financial year that exceeds the actual tax liability then the Income Tax (IT) department will likely refund the excess tax paid after filing your income tax return (ITR). Taxpayers will know if there’s a tax refund due while preparing their income tax returns. However, the final refund amount and whether you are eligible for one are determined only after the IT department processes the ITR.
A taxpayer can check his/her refund status on the tin-nsdl website. The tin-nsdl website requires the taxpayer’s PAN. The tin-nsdl website will only show whether the refund has been issued by the assessing officer (AO) to their bank account or not. You can not check the status of your tax returns. In a case where the assessing officer (AO) has re-estimated your taxable income which has resulted in higher tax liability or no tax refund, the same is not displayed on the tin-nsdl website. For the Complete information, visit the income tax website e-filing portal to obtain every minor detail from the ground up.
Steps to check ITR refund status
Your (PAN) Permanent Account Number will be required to check your refund status. When you log in to the website, you can check if your income tax refund has been processed or not along with the reason such as whether there is any pending e-verification or if any other error has occurred by the Income Tax Department.
- Firstly, visit the Income Tax Department’s (https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal) website.
- Secondly, log in with your PAN details and user id.
- Then Go to the option ‘My Account option and go to 'Refund/Demand Status.
- After this, select ITR and click on your acknowledgment, number https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal.
- Lastly, you will be redirected to a new web page with your tax details and refund status.
Checking ITR refund status using the NSDL website
- Visit the official website.
- Go to the provided link to proceed with the taxpayer refund status.
- Enter your PAN details and select the Assessment Year (A.Y.) 2022-23.
- Click submit.
- Your income tax returns status will be displayed on the screen.
In case the status is ‘refund rejected’, it shows that your tax liability has been re-calculated by the assessing officer (AO). The reason for rejection status will be shown and you will get an intimation from the income tax department seeking added tax or intimation about rectification needed in the income tax returns.