File Belated income tax return By the 31st of December 2022 Considering the notice & Penalties
If you could not file your income tax return by July 31, then make sure you file it by December-31, to avoid a notice from the income tax department...
The deadline for filing income tax returns was July 31st 2022 has passed and those assess who were not able to file their returns at that time, have an opportunity now to file belated ITR by December 31st.
Tax experts expressed that “This deadline is applicable to all types of taxpayers regarding individual, corporate, audit, and non-audit. It provides an opportunity to taxpayers who overlooked the deadline due to inescapable reasons.”
What is belated ITR?
If any of the individuals could not file his/her original income tax returns within the specified deadline (July 31, 2022). However s/he will be able to file his/her revised IT returns, and the sole possibility they will now have is to file a belated return. The due date, generally for filing a belated return is decided on or before the end of the appropriate assessment year. For the current year, it is December 31, 2022.
If the circumstance is like this - you could not file any income tax returns, then the IT Department may start an assessment procedure that may lead to a heavy amount of penalty charged against the person. Hence, it is a must to file income tax returns, even if it is a belated returns.
Points to be remembered -
- Follow precautions while filing belated IT returns.
- Be careful about selecting the right ITR form.
- Keep all the relevant documents ready while filing the returns.
- Filing late returns can attract penalties under Section 234F of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Pay attention to the details while you furnish the return close to the 31st of December.
Disadvantages of Filing Belated Returns
- There are certain drawbacks of filing your income tax returns lately. Major of them are as follows-
- A late fee for filing belated returns will be levied under section 234F. If the individual’s income is-
No Penalties - Gross income is up to Rs. 2.5 lacs.
Rs. 1000 Fee - If net income is between Rs.2.5 lacs to Rs. 5 lacs
Rs. 5000 Fee - If the total income is more than Rs. lacs
- Interest may be levied under sections 234A, 234B, and 234C.
- If you are filing income tax returns after the deadline, exemptions or deductions will not be allowed under sections 10A, 10B, 80-IA, 80-IB, 80-IC, 80-ID and 80-IE.
- Losses like business and capital losses, can not be carried forward for set off in the subsequent year except the losses from house property that can be carried forward.
Steps to file Late returns online
- First, you need to login into your account on the e-filing portal.
- There you will get to see an option “e-File” click on this and then choose “income tax returns” later click on “file income tax returns”.
- In the third step, you need to select the relevant assessment year as 22-23 and the mode of filing.
- Click on the tab “Start new filing”
- Choose your relevant status among - individuals, HUF and others and select the applicable IT return form.
- Now go to the personal information section and cross-check your details.
- Scroll through the down and select section 139(4).
- Lastly, fill out your all income information under different source heads and make the payment of applicable tax.
Note-All the information expressed above in the blog is taken from credible and authentic resources and has been published after moderation. Any change in the information other than fact must be believed as a human error. The article/blog we write is to provide updated information. You can raise any query on matters related to article content at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also Read -